Kyocera Communication Systems Co., Ltd. (KCCS) announced June 19 that it would establish a new company in Singapore to distribute content to cellular phones. KCCS aims to strengthen its information-distribution service for cell phones in Southeast Asia. It decided to secure a foothold in Singapore, where the local government is eager to promote investments from major IT enterprises.
The new company is called Kyocera Communication Asia Pacific (KCAP) and will be set up in July 2002 with a capital of around 500 million yen. 75 percent of the capital will be from KCCS, and remaining 25 percent from the following three others: the Economic Development Board (EDB), which is a Singapore governmental organization; a CTI systems-related company called Innovax Systems Pte. Ltd.; and a content distributor called Orange Gum Pte. Ltd.
KCAP will start providing content-distribution service for mobile phones in Singapore in August. The company also intends to receive orders from Japanese content-providers, which are hoping their content can be distributed in Singapore. KCAP expects to generate 400 million yen in sales in 2003.
(Keisuke Ogawa, Staff Editor, BizTech News Dept.)